The participants of Herbal Medicines Conference 2006, Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia, hereby adopt the following resolutions for consideration by the government and other stakeholders in herbal medicines:
- To develop the competency of pharmacists towards becoming authorities on herbal medicines,
- by establishing continuing and exchange educational programmes on herbal medicines and incorporating herbal medicine in the pharmacy and medical curricula, and
- by encouraging pharmacists to play proactive roles in the public education of herbal medicines
- To promote international standardization as well as tighter controls, surveillance and licensing of herbal medicines to ensure their quality, safety and efficacy, including establishing harmonized, equitable and regulatorily acceptable guidelines and protocols
- for speedy registration
- for costing and pricing structures
- To encourage pharmacists and pharmaceutical / herbal industries to be more proactively involved in research and development on herbal medicines, such as
- Enhancing infrastructure for multi-centre clinical trials, and
- modern pharmaceutical technology for manufacturing of herbal products in more user-friendly dosage forms.
- To work toward authoritative documentation, compilation, international cooperation, publication and dissemination of all knowledge and research work on herbs used in Malaysia and beyond with the help of all stakeholders.